March 17, 2006

Grobalization is Good


I bought a computer desk that is clearly one of the many mass produced cheap pieces of crap we are importing by the ton, literally, from China. I watch the ships roll in and out of New York harbor daily when I take the dog for a walk, all of them loaded with containers, hauling their junk. Sometimes it is like sitting back and watching the country empty its pockets for some skins, or in this case bobble-head dolls or a cheap place to rest my monitor, as if four hundred years later we cannot see any more clearly. Why have we shut down the plants and factories that used to manufacture somewhat quality products? Why is the country littered with delapidated means of production rendering us fat, lazy and unprepared for what our future might bring?



The following one-SIDE of pictures is the entire instruction manual of how to put it together.



And the instructions for loading from the side of the box.


If you happen to be unloading this in the rain, you should probably hold an umbrella over it. Please, no horking it just to make your life easier. Hoist that bad boy! This sike up! And with that, I rest my case.

I'm not going to pull an O'Reilly and suddenly call for a boycott of goods from any one locale, but I think it might help to become a more informed consumer. If companies didn't insist on squeezing out the highest profit margin possible, if there was some semblance of the compassionate corporation that contributes to the community, then perhaps we could strike a balance between competitive pay for workers and well-fed, happy, red-faced tycoons. Right, pinch me. My head must be up my arse.

If only I were king.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home