November 14, 2005

An Historic (Silver) Herring Swims Upstream


Because this won't be widely reported outside the city I have to mention this.

I know, it's just a fish market, and not someplace I shopped too often even. But I will miss the smell of that building so curiously placed on the waterfront, by a recreational pier, and right at the spot where you rise up onto the FDR, only to be met with the whiff of fresh mackerel in the morning. Coming out of the Battery tunnel, the smell meant adventure in Manhattan, the big city. Alternatively, driving towards it, the smell had that good feeling associated with coming home... soon.

Maybe it's just me, but I will miss the summer nights on the seaport, weaving in and out of milling people, watching magic tricks and human statues, miscreants, oddities, lights spinning off glass windows and water, ice cream and fish curiously mixing in my mouth and somehow making sense.

The move of the Fulton Fish Market makes me sad as it reminds me that in this city, if you live here long enough, everything changes.


An Update: I missed this on Saturday. Apparently I am not alone in the nostalgia. Also, the photo is courtesy of Martin Fuchs. See more of his series on the fish market here.

1 Comments:

At November 14, 2005 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home